Saturday, December 27, 2008

Carle Wisens Up

as seen on euroos.blogspot.com

Australian star Nick Carle has admitted his frustration at his continued Socceroos snub but believes his experience at Crystal Palace has matured him to his benefit.

Carle has been left out of Pim Verbeek's Australia squads for last three World Cup qualifiers (against Uzbekistan, Qatar and Bahrain) and the Socceroos boss has admitted the ex-Newcastle Jets man needs a change if he's to get back in the national team frame.

But Carle remains optimistic about his Socceroos chances and thinks his recent experiences in England with Championship club Crystal Palace have wisened him up.

In November, Carle lost his spot in the Palace side after some poor form but the former Johnny Warren Medallist explained to the London News Shopper that he had bounced back stronger from the experience.

"I think I’m old enough and wise enough to know that there are going to be ups and downs and not to let my head down when I get dropped, but work harder to get back in," Carle said.

Indeed, Carle has won back his spot at Palace and only last weekend scored a late equaliser in a crucial match against Sheffield United. And Carle would love to replicate his experiences with his club on the international scene.

“Unfortunately, there are some good players who play in my position who are doing the business in top leagues such as Tim Cahill, Mark Bresciano - who plays in Serie A - and Harry Kewell.

“There are so many players who can play in my position and I’ve just mentioned a few, so I have to work as hard as I can.

"If I do get my chance, then I’ve got to be ready to take it because there’s no bigger honour than playing for your national team.”

Verbeek had explained Carle's absence from the national team as a result of playing in the wrong league. The Australia boss believes Carle would be better suited in a more technical league perhaps on the continent.

But Carle countered that argument saying, “I think the Championship is a very good level, but these boys (Cahill, Bresciano etc.) are doing it in the Premiership and Serie A.

“That’s no disrespect to the Championship because I feel it’s a great league.

“There are so many internationals playing in this league and it’s the best second league in the world, I don’t think anywhere else compares to it.

“I’m really happy to be playing here, but I’m one of those who are a bit unfortunate because our midfield is the strong point in our national team.”

No comments: