Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Downes And Out For The Year

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Chesterfield Aussie Aaron Downes has revealed the severity of a knee injury which could keep him out of action until next year.

Olyroo Downes, 23, ruptured cruciate ligaments in his knee whilst playing for the English League Two club against Darlington earlier this month.

The AIS product, who played in most of the Olyroos pre-Olympic matches before missing the cut for the final squad, revealed the extent of the problem in an interview with Chesterfield's Spireites World TV.

"I went to see the surgeon on Thursday and he will perform the operation next Thursday. Then I will hopefully be back in seven to nine months time," Downes said.

"I won't be able to do too much for the first couple of months. It will be a case of just starting to get the leg moving again really.

"By the time the boys start pre-season, I should be getting on the treadmill and bike and doing some aerobic work. Hopefully then in three to four months time I should be running again and in five months I hope to be back in non contact training.

"If all that goes well I will hopefully be back in seven to nine months."

Downes, who has been a regular in defence for Chesterfield this season, was due to come out of contract at the end of the season but has recently agreed to a new two-year-deal to stay at the club.

The Australian defender spoke about the deal saying, "I am not going to lie, there was some interest from other clubs because I could have left on a free.

"But Chesterfield had already offered me a contract and that was the only firm offer on the table and as such I was always going to stay here.

"I was happy and grateful for the original offer and they have been fantastic to stand by the offer after my injury because some clubs wouldn't have done that."

Downes's Chesterfield, whose hopes of a playoffs spot were ended last weekend, face Bradford City on the final day of the League Two season this Saturday.

No comments: