Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jet-Setter Coyne Focuses On Club

as seen on euroos.blogspot.com

Socceroos defender Chris Coyne is looking forward to the break from the national team to focus on reclaiming his spot in the Colchester United side.

The Colchester club skipper has played almost as many games for his country as he has his club lately, with his national team duties, and frequent flying, proving somewhat detrimental to his opportunities with the U's.

But the 29-year-old Pim Verbeek favourite is now looking forward to an opportunity to focus on his club form, with the Socceroos not involved in a World Cup qualifier until February.

“It's about three months before the next World Cup qualifier, so now I've got a chance to cement my position in the team,” Coyne told the Ipswich Evening Star.

Australia will be involved in Asian Cup qualifiers early in the new year, with a match against Indonesia in Jakarta in January, but Coyne and several other high-profile players are likely to be rested.

The Colchester defender explained the situation,
“there are a few Asian Cup qualifiers on the horizon, but the manager (Verbeek) has already said that he will pick the home-grown players for these games, because he understands the burden placed on the players who have to travel so far away from their clubs,”


So the opportunity to focus solely on club matters is one which Coyne is excited by as he explained, “I want to start helping Colchester to climb the table. Playing for your country is a fantastic experience, but as I've said before, it's been detrimental to my form for the club.

“I've tended to play a couple of games, then go away for a couple of games, play once more and then miss three on the trot.

“You need to be playing continually so that it becomes second nature. You need to be in the team week in, week out."


The jet-setting defender also admitted all the international travel did take its toll, saying, "
the national set-up does everything possible to get you back to your clubs as quickly as possible. That's what happened after the match in Bahrain. I was back on the plane at 1.30 local time, though I only managed three or four hours sleep.

Coyne added, “I couldn't play at Peterborough, because I couldn't even bend my leg after picking up a dead leg in Bahrain. But I rested over the weekend, and I was back in training with the lads today (Tuesday)."

“The bruising has come out and the leg is feeling fine. I'm ready and waiting, if selected. I'm champing at the bit," Coyne said.


Coyne's Colchester, 21st in League One at the moment, have the opportunity to jump out of relegation when they host 19th-placed Yeovil Town tonight.

No comments: