Thursday, February 19, 2009

Nikita Set For UEFA Debut

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Nikita Rukavytsya could make his FC Twente debut tonight after travelling with the Dutch side to France to face Olympique Marseille in the UEFA Cup.

Rukavytsya, who moved from Perth Glory to Twente in January, was included in a 20-man squad which flew from the Netherlands to Marseille for the Round of 32 clash.

The 21-year-old Australian forward could be in line for a run having been part of the Twente matchday squad for the club's 2-1 victory over FC Volendam in the Eredivisie last Saturday after scoring for the reserves in a 3-0 win over FC Groningen.

The former Perth Glory striker recently spoke to FC Twente TV and said: "I'm just going to do my best, train hard and hopefully I get a chance."

As a result of a bright performance in his first outing with Twente's Jong side just over a week ago, Rukavytsya has done enough to force his way into the first-team frame.

And now the Beijing Olyroo could be on the verge of a senior debut in southern France.

Rukavytsya, who is only just settling into life in the Netherlands, also told FC Twente TV; "I always dreamed of playing in Europe and Twente gave me an opportunity. And I came here and it looks like I did well so I'm very happy to be here.

"The club is great. It's obviously one of the best in Holland and I'm very proud to be here."

The 21-year-old was also asked about his aims and goals in the Netherlands; "I expect, first of all, to improve as a player. Hopefully become the best I can be."

No comments: