Friday, January 16, 2009

Fed's Bid To Hold Onto The Gloves

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Reading's Aussie shot-stopper Adam Federici looks likely to retain his place in goals for this weekend at least, despite regular Marcus Hahnemann returning to training.

Federici has deputised at Reading in the absence of Hahnemann, who injured a calf in early December against Blackpool in the Championship.

And the 23 year old Australian has done well during his opportunity, having conceded just three goals in five league games as the Royals moved up into second place on the Championship table with 11 points from the fixtures.

Hahnemann though has been back on the track this week at Madejski Stadium and is believed to be ready to return for the Royals.

But it seems unlikely Reading boss Steve Coppell will bring Hahnemann straight back into the Royals starting XI, with Federici performing more than adequately in the 36 year old American's absence.

Federici spoke to the Evening Post and admitted: “Obviously if I was dropped I wouldn’t be happy, but it’s not about me. It’s about the team winning.

“Marcus is training properly now and looking good again. I don’t expect anything. You can’t expect to play every week.

“If the gaffer thinks Marcus playing improves our chances of winning then it’s fine by me. It is diplomatic, but I understand the way football is."

He added: “It is obviously a hard decision because he’s a fantastic goalkeeper. He’s been here for so long and has been fantastic for the club.

“I am 23 years old, and he has been playing forever. I have heard about possession being nine-tenths of the law, but we’ll see."

Indeed, Federici has done his chances no harm with his recent performances and he cheekily added he would probably start this Saturday against Swansea City in the Championship, saying: "I am pretty sure I’m playing.”

No comments: