Friday, January 23, 2009

Grella Happy On Comeback Trail

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Blackburn's Australian midfielder Vince Grella claims he is simply happy just to be back playing football after an injury-riddled start to his career in England.

Grella, who moved to Ewood Park in August in a £4million deal from Torino, has had a difficult start to life at Blackburn with a curse of injuries reducing him to just six appearances so far for Rovers.

But having recovered from his latest injury, Grella has played a part in Blackburn's last two fixtures, an FA Cup victory over non-league Blyth Spartans and a 3-0 Premier League thrashing of fellow relegation battlers Newcastle.

In particular, his 30 minute cameo appearance off the bench in the Newcastle game would have impressed the Ewood Park faithful, as the 29-year-old Australian international looked assured and comfortable in midfield and played a number of neat passes around the field.

Grella spoke to the Lancashire Telegraph this week and admitted things haven't been easy saying, “I am just happy to be on the pitch. It has been a very awkward start to my career but I think I can turn it around.

“I have worked probably harder in the last four months than I have in my whole career before. Personal pride has been at stake and I was doing everything I could to get fit again.

“I have had great support from the club, from the chairman to the medical staff to the coaching staff and it feels great to be back out there again.”

And while Grella's performance against Newcastle puts him in good stead for a place in the Rovers team for the upcoming FA Cup tie at Sunderland on Saturday, the Australian has admitted he still isn't back to full fitness.

“I am not 100 per cent yet. Between 75 per cent and getting 100 per cent you can only get there by matches and being involved on a Saturday," Grella remarked.

Nonetheless, after a frustrating beginning to his Blackburn career Grella knows he needs to be patient and added, “It does become a mental thing when you have been injured.

“The last few months has felt like six years. Trying to settle in my family in a new country and not being able to play has made me very frustrated.

“It has been a terrible start but I will turn it around. I am happy to be at Blackburn,” he concluded.

No comments: