Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Beechy: I'm Not Running Back To Oz

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Socceroo Michael Beauchamp has rejected talk of a return to Australia and revealed he’s focused on winning back a place in the Aalborg BK team.

The 28-year-old defender has fallen out of favour in Denmark with Aalborg head coach Magnus Pehrsson claiming Beauchamp was fifth choice and up for sale during the close season.

The situation sparked interest and rumours with the ex-Central Coast defender linked with Norwegian club Valerenga IF as well as Australian new boys Gold Coast United as a replacement for Saudi-bound Adam Griffiths.

But speaking to kanalsport.dk, Beauchamp denied a return to his homeland was on the cards.

"Not yet. It's a great club that everyone's talking about going back there," he said. "But as it is, it's all talk. Same as me supposedly going to Norway, it's all talk."

"I've still got two more years here, so for me I'm just concentrating on that. One day, I'd love to go back and play in Australia, but not just yet."

But the fringe Socceroo's alarming lack of gametime at Aalborg has put his World Cup hopes at stake and it is a problem he needs to resolve.

Nevertheless, Beauchamp is determined to stick with Aalborg despite his coach's stance.

"Football's a very funny thing, it can change week-in week-out, so for me I've just got to get fit," said the ex-FC Nurnberg man who has been battling a knee complaint for the last few months after a disastrous injury-riddled first season in Denmark.

"I've got over my knee now and I don't want to focus on anything which happened last season. So for me now it's just looking forward and if that's his (Pehrsson's) opinion then I'm going to still try and prove him wrong.

"I'm not going to give up. It's not me as a person and as a player."


The Australian centre-half insists Aalborg had yet to see his full potential.

He added: "Everyone's basing my performances on last year which is fair enough because I didn't have the greatest season of all with injuries and it was very hard to get into a rhythm.

"For me personally, you've got be playing week-in, week-out and injury free to actually get to that one hundred percent potential.

"If I get the opportunity to show them then I'll do that and if not, we'll see what happens."

No comments: