Saturday, August 1, 2009

Rhys Happy To Be Mr Versatile

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Australian international Rhys Williams believes the last 12 months has made him a stronger and better player as he looks to continue his adventure for club and country.

The 21-year-old Australian international, who is yet to break through for regular games at the Riverside, has scored three goals in three appearances for Boro in pre-season.

Williams had a successful loan spell at promoted Burnley in the Championship last season but told BBC Sport he now wants to play regular football at Boro, who were relegated to the second tier for this campaign.

"The main goal for me this season is to get in the team and keep my spot, and all the lads are saying we want to get back where we belong - in the Premier League," Williams said.

He added, "I'll continue to train hard, play well and keep scoring you never know what the gaffer is thinking.

"He (manager Gareth Southgate) might put me in centre midfield, right-back, centre-back - as long as I play I'm not bothered."

And having made his senior Socceroos debut against Japan in June, Williams believes his career is on the up.

"I've had my Australia call-up, been on loan and had competitive football and I feel a stronger and better player - it's been exciting in the last 12 months.

"I've got a long injury list and have been out for a while. Touch wood I can now keep going, keep fit and pressing for a spot."

No comments: