Saturday, May 9, 2009

Coyne Aims To Avoid Repeat

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Socceroos defender Chris Coyne admits his domestic and international experiences have differed wildly amid speculation he could depart League One club Colchester United.

Coyne faces an uncertain off-season after a campaign with the Us which was affected by injuries and national team duties.

The Australia international managed only seven appearances for the Us after the turn of the year and with Colchester manager Paul Lambert keen to offload players in the European summer, the former Luton man could be to be up for sale. He still has a year remaining on his contract however.

"This season has been really disappointing for me, and I put that down to not having a pre-season for the first time in my career," Coyne told the East Anglian Daily Times.

Indeed, Coyne's 2008 pre-season was hampered after spending May and June with the Socceroos as they played the likes of Qatar, Iraq and China in Third Round World Cup qualifiers.

Coyne will again spend June this year playing more World Cup qualifiers with Australia, as the Socceroos try to secure qualification for South Africa 2010.

The 30-year-old defender, who didn't make his international debut until he was 29, though remains dedicated to the national team despite his concerns at club level.

"We have some big games coming up, away in Qatar and then at home to Bahrain in Sydney and the big one against Japan in Melbourne. We only need one more point to qualify.

"After that I'll be wrapping myself up in cotton wool this time. I want to make sure that I am ready for next season, and the manager has given me an extra week to recover. I'll be back on July 6-7 rather than July 1," added Coyne.

No comments: