Friday, May 22, 2009

I Want To Come Back...One Day

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

EXCLUSIVE: Aussie Michael Brown admits he'd love to return home to play in the A-League one day - but he's happy now helping Airdrie United beat the drop.

The 24-year-old former Feyenoord and Parramatta Power man's club is in the middle of a huge relegation battle in the Scottish Division One playoffs.

Having got past Peterhead last week, Airdrie blew a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 at Ayr United on Wednesday ahead of the return leg at home on Sunday which will decide who plays Division One football next season.

But the Australian midfielder, who was an unused substitute against Ayr United, believes his side can get the job done: "I think to be fair going there and getting a draw isn't that bad.

"I think bringing them back to our place on Sunday, it's a bigger park as well so we can get a bit more space and play to the way we want to play. I think the more space we get, the better it will be for us."

And while relegation battles in Scotland's second tier may not sound all that glamorous, Brown is happy doing his part to help his club - whichever division that may be, despite harbouring an ambition to play in the A-League.

"Yeah, I'm enjoying it, it's really good," Brown said. "The gaffer's (Kenny Black) brilliant, he's a good gaffer. I get on well with him as well, he's one of the better ones I've been under.

"But Division One or Division Two, I hope to be still here."

He added: "I've really had to come over here to get my name back on the radar, to get the chance to get back to the A-League which would be great.

"I think the more time I'm here, the more opportunity I'm going to get to get back over there (Australia). So I think they'll look at the experience and how long you've been overseas and who you've played for."

Having signed a one-year-deal with Airdrie after a trial last August, the Australian midfielder is out of contract at the end of the season, but he is confident of winning a new deal to stay with the Waysiders.

"I've had a couple of meetings with the gaffer and he said everything's going well," Brown said. "Nobody knows at all what is happening because of the situation we are in, what division we're going to be in next year.

"But what I've been speaking to him about has been pretty positive and I'm fairly confident that I'll get something here.

"I'm happy here. I've got family in Newcastle and that's just a couple of hours away. Im really happy here. The Scottish mentality and all that is similar to where I am from, so it is really comfortable. I enjoy it."

No comments: