Friday, May 8, 2009

Grella: We Can Beat The Drop

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Socceroos midfielder Vince Grella is confident his English Premier League club Blackburn Rovers can see off danger and avoid relegation from the top flight.

Grella, who has had a troubled start to life at Ewood Park due to a succession of injuries, has been back to full fitness recently as Rovers battle for survival in the Premier League.

The 29-year-old, who joined Rovers from Torino last August, put in arguably his best performance for the club in a 2-0 win over Wigan a fortnight ago.

But Rovers, 15th, are still not clear of danger although Grella believes his side can get the job done.

"We need three points to survive and two of our remaining three games are at Ewood Park," he said.

"Hopefully we can do it against Portsmouth on Saturday. We then play Chelsea away and finish off at home against West Brom.

"We have been playing well enough and I am sure the experience of (manager) Sam Allardyce will get us through."

And if Blackburn do survive, Grella believes he'll be bigger and better next season after a learning experience in his first campaign in the English Premier League.

"I was used to a slower pace in Italian football and when I got niggles and injuries I tended to play on," he said.

"You just can't cut corners in England. I tried to and it cost me so many weeks. I was naive. The intensity and speed is so different.

"You just have to be super-fit. Talk about the game being played at 100 miles an hour. It's more like 250 miles an hour times 95 minutes.

"I am gradually adapting to the style but I am not there yet."

No comments: