Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ireland Earns Coventry Deal

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Australian teenage goalkeeper Daniel Ireland has admitted he is ecstatic to have signed a new two-year-deal at Championship club Coventry City.

The 18-year-old shot-stopper's deal was due to expire at the end of this season but he has won a new contract keeping him at the Ricoh Arena until 2011.

Ireland made his first-team debut for the Sky Blues in the Carling Cup last August against Aldershot Town before a loan stint at non-league Halesowen Town.

The Australian under-20 international returned to Ricoh Arena in the latter half of the season and worked closely with Coventry's legendary keeper Steve Ogrizovic before being in the squad for the Sky Blues last two games of the season.

"I'm thrilled to have signed a new contract. I've worked hard since I have been here and am really excited for the next couple of seasons to try and improve myself," Ireland told the Coventry Telegraph.

"I had a word with the gaffer before I signed and he said that he wants me to go out on loan then hopefully, I can come back and have more experience to compete for the number one spot."

A loan deal now seems likely, but with Coventry's veteran keeper Andy Marshall likely to leave the club in the summer and impressive number one Keiren Westwood the constant subject of transfer speculation, there could be opportunities for the young Australian at Ricoh Arena soon.

No comments: