Sunday, July 12, 2009

Coyne Targets A-League Title

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Socceroos defender Chris Coyne has claimed on English radio he's aiming to win the A-League premiership this season with the revitalised Perth Glory.

The 30-year-old Socceroo terminated his Colchester contract this week before signing a three-year-contract with the big-spending A-League club and admitted on BBC Essex he's hoping for a successful return to the city where he grew up.

"I'm looking forward to it, a new challenge, a good club," Coyne said.

"They've made some very good signings this summer so I'm looking forward to going and hopefully trying to win the league there this year."

The Australian international admitted his departure from Colchester was a result of his desire to be part of the Socceroos' squad in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

"I needed to be playing week-in, week-out and I couldn't get that. I wasn't getting that feeling from the manager and he'd already made a few attempts at bringing centre-halves in during the previous season.

"So I thought it was best for me to ensure, with a big 12 months ahead, that I was playing week-in week-out so that my national manager could see me playing.

"It's a childhood dream although your country doesn't pay your bills, one of the biggest achievements you can get is playing for your country."

Coyne added, he and Colchester boss Paul Lambert, who couldn't guarantee him first-team football, parted ways amicably.

"He's an honest man and he told me exactly how he saw it and let me have my say and we left the conversation on good terms, shaking hands and wishing each other all the best," Coyne added.

"So there was no ill-feeling, no bad words - we're both professionals and knew what was best for both of us to go forward."

No comments: