Friday, July 10, 2009

Fed: I'm Ready To Be No. 1

as seen on au.fourfourtwo.com

Socceroo stopper Adam Federici believes he is ready to step up and make the number one shirt at English Championship club Reading his own this season.

The 24-year-old Australian has played second fiddle at Reading for a long time but his rival goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann has recently departed the club, leaving Federici with a real shot at establishing himself with the Royals.

Federici told the Reading Chronicle: "It's been frustrating but now I have a chance to go out there and prove to everyone that I'm the number one at this club and will be for many years to come.

"I've always wanted to step into the role but with Marcus there it was never going to happen. He's gone now which has given me a great chance to step up and I'm looking forward to that challenge.

"It been a frustrating couple of years, especially when we went down as there were a big spell of games where I thought I could have made the difference. Then last season being dropped for no reason was another frustrating point.

"So this a big chance for myself, it's been a long time coming. I've played in patches but I haven't been able to keep the shirt so this is a chance to prove myself."

Reading's new boss Brendan Rodgers has indicated Federici will start the season as his number one stopper.

And the Aussie claimed having a fresh face around in charge of the club has given the team new life as they attempt to push for promotion back to the English Premier League.

He added: "Everyone is just really excited about the place. He (Rodgers) has been brilliant, he's different to what we're used to which is refreshing.

"It's a different style of football, it's fantastic how professional and organised everything is. It's going to be exciting for us as players to play the way he wants us to.

"He had a talk to us on the first day about how he wants us to play and you could see a smile on everyone's face. As a footballer you want to play good football and I think that's what we're going to do this season.

"It's going to be fantastic."

No comments: